Are you getting up with a sore throat in the morning and feeling your voice changed? Although you might not recognize the link, morning sore throat is caused by the acidic stomach acid that rises into your esophagus during the night and damages the throat. It is one of the very common symptoms of acid reflux disease.
Acid reflux sore throat occurs when the acidic gastric juices from the stomach constantly flow up into the esophagus. Generally gastric acid wouldn’t move upwards to the throat. But caused by the weak lower esophageal sphincter, it will allow partially digested foods having traces of gastric acid travels back into the mouth via the alimentary canal therefore causing sore throat.
Although it is vital to consult with a physician when it comes to healing acid reflux sore throat, there are several natural remedies that can be used at home to alleviate the throat irritation and pain. Some of these remedies are listed below.
1. Gargling is the best home remedy for treating acid reflux sore throat. Add enough table salt in a glass of warm water, then gargle right to the back of your throat for a few seconds and spit out. Gargle about 4-5 times daily to relieve the pain.
2. Another remedy for treating painful throat is to limit your intake of foods that cause reflux include spicy foods, fried foods, citrus fruits, chocolates, tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppermint, alcohol and drinks containing caffeine.
3. Drinking lots of water is another natural remedy that is believed to be very effective in treating the condition. Water is known to have several healing properties which flush out the acid from the throat, thus reducing the irritation and pain caused by acid reflux sore throat.
4. Changing your sleeping position is also an excellent way to alleviate throat pain. Try sleeping on your back with upper half of your body elevated either with a wedged pillow, reflux board or extra pillows. Sleeping in this position will prevent stomach acid from backing up into the esophagus.
5. Another good remedy that you can use to soothe your irritated throat is to drink tea mixed with some honey. Another excellent drink that helps alleviate throat irritation is herbal tea that contains lavender and anise. It also helps in digestion, soothe painful swallowing and help to reduce stomach acid, curing acid reflux.
6. Eating five or six small meals rather than three larger ones is better. Furthermore, one must follow the habit of eating dinner at least 2-3 hours before bedtime as this will keep acid levels low, thus also preventing acid reflux sore throat.